Wastewater and Process Engineering Treatability studies are used to evaluate and optimize bioreactors and physical processes through the evaluation of physical parameters, amendments, system design and potential for process improvements. SiREM’s technical experts are veterans at analyzing the behavior, control points and outcomes of biological and physical treatment processes.
Engineering Services Provided
In response to the increasing demand for innovative engineering solutions, proof-of-concept testing and process design parameters, SiREM has invested in the equipment and protocol development to perform high quality project specific physical, chemical, and biological process evaluation studies to devise reliable solutions in:
- Product Performance Analysis – Evaluate the effectiveness of remediation products though analysis performed by an unbiased third-party investigator
- Prototyping – Understand the effectiveness of a technology, and simulate the performance of conceptual designs
- Process Evaluation – Analyze and document the site-specific performance, control points and synergistic effects of complex treatment processes
- Engineering Design & Support – Evaluate treatment technologies to define critical design and process control parameters
- Technology Compatibility – Addresses the interaction of technologies where chemical, biological or physical incompatibilities may lead to undesirable consequences while addressing chemical, biological or physical technology incompatibilities; which can lead to undesirable consequences if not detected in the design phase.
- Proof-of-concept Assessment – Through collaboration and innovation we can reliably and cost effectively answer the question: Will it work?
Treatment Technologies and Parameters Tested
SiREM has the technical experts and state-of-the-art laboratory to test a wide range of technologies and media for treatment of metals, organics, inorganics, total and dissolved solids, chemical and biological oxygen demand, leachate, pH, odor, color and toxicity including:
- Bioreactor testing
- Wastewater treatment processes for organic and inorganics
- Leaching studies
- In situ soil stabilization
- Settling tests
- Metals biogeochemistry
- Sorption isotherms
- Titrations and pH-based reaction
- Advanced Oxidation
- Phytotoxicity Testing
- TPH Adsorption
- Ozone compatibility
- Biodegradation and bioconversion
Representative Examples of Process Innovation and Custom Engineering Solutions
The examples below highlight some of the key projects that were designed in conjunction with the client to solve complex problems. Download the full brochure below for a more comprehensive list of examples.
Purification of Spring Water for Bottling, GA. A rapid small-scale column testing (RSSCT) rig allowed the evaluation of granular activated carbon (GAC) for water purification. Specific requirements of the testing protocol included (1) removal of trace organics while preserving the mineral content of the spring water, (2) quantifying removal efficiency, and (3) organic breakthrough for evaluation of process economics and GAC usage rates.
Biogeochemical Precipitation of Arsenic from Groundwater, FL. Sulfate reducing conditions generated in soil columns with and without organic amendments documented the conditions necessary to stimulate indigenous bacteria to form insoluble arsenic sulfide which precipitated out of solution leaving the treated groundwater free of soluble arsenic.
Oxidative treatment of arsenic leachate, FL. Leachate originating from a landfill site was reported to contain inorganic arsenic levels exceeding the acceptance threshold for the local wastewater treatment plant. The majority of arsenic was present as arsenite. An oxidative treatment was proposed to transform the arsenite to arsenate, the less toxic form. Hypochlorite, peroxide and ozone in conjunction with ferric iron as a catalyst was evaluated. Hydrogen peroxide-based treatments using simple peroxide addition or perozone provided the best combination of low reagent usage and solids precipitation and settling.
Constructed Wetlands for Landfill Leachate, NJ. Assessed various unit processes that may be incorporated into the design of a full-scale constructed wetland for the treatment of groundwater primarily contaminated with chlorinated volatile organic compounds (CVOCs) resulting from landfill leachate.
Experience SiREM’s Exceptional Science and Engineering Solutions
- SiREM works closely with our clients to identify and define clear study objectives
- Highly trained staff conducting studies on schedule
- Scientific design including all required controls and replication
- A focused and responsive project manager who provides regular technical updates
- Flexibility – study approach can be modified during the study for ongoing remedy optimization
- Final reports that summarize study findings in a clear and comprehensive manner
Contact SiREM for a custom wastewater and process engineering treatability study design to achieve your project goals
Learn more about SiREM’s Experience with Custom Engineering Solutions